Stop Letting Live Video Scare You!
"O. M. G., I just cannot do LIVE!"
"What if I say the wrong thing"
"What if I look silly"
"I don't like the way I look on camera"
We hear these statements all the time. Here are the facts:
You CAN do Live, and you would probably rock it!
So what, that is the beauty of Live, anything can happen!
You won't, and if you do - embrace it. Raw, real brands are sooo in right now! ;)
No one does, but you look great - and your knowledge is what your followers want to see!
Confidence is something all of us struggle with. However, preparation breeds confidence. Below are some tips to prepare you to have confidence to go Live!
Let your audience know about your upcoming live video with news feed posts. Experiment with images and perhaps even a short video to tell them about the bigger video to come.
1) Set Up Your Location - Minimize background noise; Decide whether to hold the phone yourself or use some type of mount; Choose a spot that has a strong broadband connection
2) Set a Policy for Instant Feedback - Decide in advance how/when you will acknowledge your audience; Address commenters by name and make it clear how much you appreciate their involvement
3) Do a Practice Video - Do a practice run so you can see how you sound and see what the viewer sees; Avoid practicing too much, you will lose the 'in the moment' feel of a Live Video
• Relax! And don't forget to smile
• Get comfortable and the audience will follow
• Be yourself - use words/hand gestures you would normally use
• Don't be afraid to make mistakes
• Introduce yourself and your company
• Tell the audience what you plan to cover
• Encourage comments and other feedback
• End your live video with a call to action
Remember, video is such a powerful communicator - and LIVE video is extremely entertaining for the viewer, and wonderful practice for you! The more you do, the easier it will get. I know it can be intimidating, but it is so worth it. Run through these tips as many times as you need, take a deep breath, and go... LIVE!